Date: 4- 8th December 2023 This course requires a minimum of 5 students to proceed on this date. Location: The course is presented at DHI headquarters and on host farms
Date: 4- 8th December 2023
This course requires a minimum of 5 students to proceed on this date.
Location: The course is presented at DHI headquarters and on host farms
Time: Five days – 8.30am – 5pm.
Course Textbook: “Hoof Signals – Success factors for healthy hoofs” (supplied)
Cost: $2,750 + plus GST
(Note: Minimum 5 attendees per course).
There is no prerequisite training required to do the advanced course.
What will you learn:
- Hoof care theory
- Foot anatomy and function
- Recognition and treatment of claw disease
- Lameness prevention
- The relationship between Nutrition and Lameness
Hoof Trimming – Best Practice:
- Lameness treatment
- Preventative hoof trimming (shaping the claw correctly)
- Use of angle grinder for hoof trimming
- Application of claw blocks
- Knife sharpening
- Hoof trimming tools and accessories
- Morning/Afternoon tea and lunch
- The option of 3 x trimming refresher sessions with Fred within the year after completion of Advanced Course (student to schedule)
- Certificate awarded on completion of all elements of the course (Note: full Attendance for the duration of the course is a requirement)
- Examination: Students are able to sit an examination following 12 months of practical trimming experience or on completing a minimum of 400 cows. The Diploma in Bovine Hoof Care will be awarded on the successful completion of practical and theory aspects of testing. (Note: Additional cost involved)
Outline: This course is aimed at those who are serious about minimising lameness on their farm through gaining a more comprehensive understanding of contributing factors, as well as becoming competent in the technical aspects of hoof trimming.